Tuesday, October 5, 2010

More Fresh Steelhead are coming

I was able to get out and look at the rivers today as well as wet a line. We were high and muddy, but I knew there were lots of fish in. I decided to break out the switch rod and swing some large streamers. The fish below is one that succumbed to the Pink Lady Sculpin. There were numerous other Bright Chromers that came to the net. It was a pleasant surprise considering the high muddy water.
The rain made it difficult today, but it will bring in even more fish over the next few days. I expect the water to drop to fishable conditions by Saturday afternoon on some tribs and by Tuesday on others.
I plan to swing more streamers over the next few days which is always an exciting way to fish. When a steelhead hits a swinging streamer, hold on on tight and get ready for the screaming reel.
The streamers I have pictured below are some of my favorites. They are big streamers and are particularly good in off colored water.

The Pink Lady Sculpin took a number of fish today


My Favorites


Tube Flies and Flies with Stingers



They even look good wet

Get your gear ready and your fly boxes stocked. It's time to go steelhead fishing. Contact us to book a trip to Steelhead Alley or for special patterns that work on the alley.

Tight lines to all,
Scott McClintock
owner / operator
RSM Fly Fishing Services